Monday, July 23, 2012

Bros.


1 John 3:16-18

By this we know love, that he laid down his life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brothers.  But, if anyone has the world's goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God's love abide in him?  Little children, let us not love in word or talk, but in deed and in truth. 


I just really love these verses--they have so much to say to us in very few words. 

Sometimes I just feel like I don't do enough to raise my kids spiritually.  They don't know the most scripture or answer the most Sunday school questions or act the most holy.   We do read daily and study, but it just never seems like enough.  There seems to be a lot of competition in the Christian circle sometimes!  Scripture memory and Bible knowledge are really important in raising up godly sons and daughters and we are really working on those things.  But, sometimes you just feel like you are failing because you aren't doing as much as the "So and So" family or your kids don't know as much as the "So and So" kids. 

Satan.  He is always trying to discourage me.  He is actually really good at it, and he knows it.  He knows that when I feel discouraged, I get overwhelmed and irritable and then I "give up". 

But God is good, and He tends to send me encouragement when I need it the most. 

Last week was especially trying.....the kids were fighting and Finn was teething and I wasn't sleeping....if you're a mom, you get it!  I was super close to moving out when I witnessed an amazing moment between two of my children.  A moment that encouraged me to continue to "run the race with endurance."

For whatever reason, Caleb kept calling Luke "fat" all week.  Luke is not fat, but it really hurt his feelings.  Everytime Caleb was upset with Luke, we heard the word "fat"--it was really annoying.  After a couple warnings, Caleb was told that if it happened again, he would be getting 2 spankings with the spoon. 

Sure enough, it happened.  Caleb knew.  He knew that he was about to be spanked and he was really, really upset.  Steve took him to our bedroom and I could hear him scolding Caleb.  Before we spank, we talk about the crime and the punishment about to be handed down.  I could tell that Luke was getting anxious as he sat in the bar stool waiting to hear the "spank" of the spoon on Caleb's bottom.   

STOP!  TELL DAD TO STOP!  I NEED TO TALK TO CALEB!

Steve brought Caleb out to Luke and Luke said, "I don't want you to punish Caleb.  Punish me instead.  I don't want Caleb to be spanked."

Caleb ran to Luke and hugged him and said, "Thank-you, Luke.  Thank you!" through sobs of relief.

I didn't even know what to do.  I just stood there.  Seriously?  You are taking the punishment for the brother that sinned against you over and over?  His response?

That's what Jesus did for me.  That's the gospel. 

Do you know how encouraging that was to me as a mom trying to raise up godly men? 

They may not be the best question answerers or scripture memorizers or the most holy, but they know how to love each other as themselves. 

Thank you, Jesus, for working even in the hearts of young children and for teaching them how to love. 

****Disclaimer*****   I really wasn't going to move out and they still fight.  A lot.  But we are working on it!  And they've actually memorized quite a bit of scripture in the last couple weeks.  Take that, Satan. 


No comments:

Post a Comment