Friday, July 20, 2012

The Flea

So, a couple weeks ago, I heard Selah say to a friend...."Well, my mom is good, but she's not the best mom because she doesn't let us get a cat." 

Wow.  Harsh.  It's not like I didn't want to get an animal, but it's just one more thing to take care of!  Alright, I just am not an animal person.

 A couple days later, I received an email sent out to a homeschool group we belong to and it was an offer for a free kitten.  No.  I can't do it.  I just cannot respond to this offer even if it means that I will never, ever be the best mom ever.  I don't like hair.  Or poop.  Or claws.  I was just going to delete the email and pretend I never got it.  I will just  pretend that I don't know that we are this sweet little kittens last hope.  UGH.  Do you think I ignored the email?

No.  I responded to the email!  I am a big pushover.  Big.

Dear So & So,
We would love to adopt your last kitten.  We have 6 kids and they really, really want a pet and I really, really want to be the best mom ever.  Please let me know if you still have her available.
Sincerely,
Julie

Blech.  Oh no.  Panic.  Please don't reply back to me.  Please.  I cannot handle a kitten.  I have a red couch and it tends to be my idol and I don't like my idol scratched.  Or peed on.  Or, in anyway destroyed.  It has already survived coffee and buttered toast.  Red couch cannot take much more!  Maybe I could still be the best mom ever if I attempted to get the kitten but never actually took her.  Maybe. 

Or maybe not.  "Come get your kitten today!" kitten owner said. 

Oh goody. 

The next morning, Sunday, kitty was scratching.  And scratching.  And scratching.  Then I saw it....the flea.  I don't do fleas.  I don't even do kittens!  I immediately googled and learned that Dawn dishsoap will kill fleas better than the flea shampoos.  I had Dawn, so we lathered up kitty with half of a bottle of it--literally--locked her in the bathroom for 20 minutes while the rest of us got ready for church.  We rinsed off poor kitty and 5 fleas came off.  I think I actually had a panic attack.  Lathered kitty up again for good measure, sent her back to the bathroom for 20 more minutes and rerinsed.  We went through an entire large bottle of Dawn.  No fleas.  I had water and soap and suds covering my lower level floor.  I had a dripping wet kitty and towels that touched the flea.  Uh oh.  I had bedding that touched the flea, too!  And what if all the clean laundry sitting neatly in the basket touched the flea.  Panic!  Strip the beds, wash the towels, rewash all the laundry.  Panic some more and try to let it go so that we can go to our worship service at church.  On top of the flea, I had 100 people coming over for dinner in 7 hours and we have fleas!!

We ended up getting some Frontline and treating her that afternoon. 

I had anxiety over the flea for about a week--probably longer.  I made Steve check kitty every hour.  I checked our living room rug a hundred times a day.  I might have been diagnosed with OCD a couple years ago, but that's a secret and I hide my OCD well, right? 

NO FLEAS!!  Haven't seen one since.

We actually love our sweet little kitty.  She hasn't ruined my red couch.  And I thought I was the best mom ever......until I heard Selah tell Finn, "Mom is good, but she doesn't let us get a horse, so she's not the best mom ever." 

I give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment